Thursday, August 28

Mysterious Ways..

I read the book.. well, I listened to the book I've Never Been to Vegas, but My Luggage Has: Mishaps and Miracles on the Road to Happily Ever After on Audible. The author, Mandy Hale, is more commonly known as The Single Woman… and in the book she recounts colorful, often ridiculous, stories from her life. 

I really like the overall theme of the book - that God has a plan. However, Mandy Hale speaks of a God that I tend to question. For instance, Mandy speaks of childhood dreams - kissing Donnie Wahlberg and meeting Oprah. When these dreams came to fruition, Mandy gave all the credit to God. I see God differently than that… does God really give us the desires of our heart to show his love at times? 

I've always based my opinions in the belief that if we have ridiculous dreams like that, instead of fulfilling them, God changes them. Yet, of course, whenever I think I understand God, He reminds me that I don't know everything.

For example, a few years ago I was on a mission trip in Alabama. We met a very eccentric guy on the trip, Jason. Jason believes in a God who involves Himself in every single aspect of our lives. If you don't know where to go to dinner, pray about it. I thought this was a little over the top.. and although I could see Christ's love radiating from Jason, I questioned. That week my allergies attacked me in full force. We ran to Walmart and I stood, staring at rows of pill bottles as my head swam with congestion. How on earth do I decide between allergy medications? I really want something that will work.. does it really matter which one I get? Wait. If I was Jason, I would pray about it. I half-heartedly prayed about which medication I should purchase… and the next thing I knew, a lady walked into the aisle with a huge coupon book. 

"I have a coupon for Zyrtec if you'd like it" -she announced.

Earlier this year, a couple got engaged… and as is typical for ACs, the engagement story was pretty radical. Heh. The girl spoke enthusiastically as she described how many times the guy's name had appeared throughout her day. Because his name kept popping up, she knew that he was the one. 

It doesn't help that I'm cynical and sarcastic to begin with :) …. but engagement stories like this make me cringe. If you have a proposal from a guy, of course you're going to notice whenever you hear that name! So, I again mocked that God could work in such a manner. The next day, I heard the name of a guy (Titus*) I liked repeatedly. The next day in church, during the morning service I wondered in the minister would mention Titus. Well, the name isn't in the Bible much so I doubt he'll read about it. He didn't. But when I was completely unaware during afternoon service, I looked over at the book my resident was reading. 

Chapter 5: Titus

And, recently I read the book by The Single Woman. I again doubted the ways that God can work. I'm sure that God can touch our lives in small ways every day to remind us of His love. But, I know that I have faith so I don't really need any radical signs. However, I would like to meet a famous person.. so that'd be great if I could meet a famous person.

Sunday evening I was on duty so I walked down to the barn to pray on the step. I sat down and looked up and there sat a praying mantis staring at me… all prepared for the prayer meeting. 

Tuesday afternoon, I checked Twitter to see that Mike Donehey was going to be at Sweetwater playing a free acoustic show. We decided that as alternative houseparents this was a perfect way to use our time wisely… and so we went. We missed the show but got to meet Mike Donehey. 


I guess my point in all of this is that we cannot limit the ways that God can work. We don't need dramatic displays of rainbows and miraculous miracles.. but beware when you challenge Him. Because no matter how He is working, He is STILL working. 


1 comments:

Daveana said...

I really like this! You should post more! :)