Wednesday, October 19

Its too late to think of a creative title...

I'm writing at 3:33 AM from my spot volunteering the night at a homeless shelter... this is fair warning that this might be somewhat disconnected...

Lately, I've been trying to think of the statement freedom in Christ. And how best I could explain to someone that you're free when you're a Christian. I mean, how can you possibly feel free when there's this list of things you can't do anymore (or shouldn't do anymore - there's the whole other angle that now we can do anything we want because we're free.... and.... but k.... )

I certainly don't feel free at times. I want to do things and know I shouldn't. At times, there's even things other Christians are doing that I just feel like I shouldn't. And its frustrating....

How is that freedom?

Well. Its like a seat belt. I know.. the best analogy you've ever heard in your life (is analogy the right word?)

A seat belt restrains us. It holds us back from reaching for that water bottle that rolled under the seat. It cuts into our neck at times.

But. When the car fails, it keeps us safe. The things that may seem like they restrain us, may be the things that hold us together when everything else around us is careening off the road.

So how are we free? We're free because we have security about the most important things. Yeah the seat belts may be uncomfortable, but when we're in danger, they save our lives.

Are we really too weak for a little discomfort?

0 comments: