Monday, January 31

I will sing

I read this awhile ago and I thought it was incredible :)

quoted from this
"Philip Paul Bliss (1838-1876), was a well known teacher, evangelist and soloist. He wrote many hymns, including Almost Persuaded, Let the Lower Lights Be Burning, and Wonderful Words of Life. He also composed the melody for Horatio Spafford's It Is Well with My Soul.

On the 29th of December, 1876, Bliss and his wife, Lucy, boarded a train back to Pennsylvania. The winter snow and ice made for dangerous travel. As their train was crossing over a river in Ashtabula, Ohio, the bridge suddenly gave way and all the carriages fell into the freezing waters below. Bliss escaped through a window, only to find that Lucy had somehow been left behind in the burning wreckage. Although he was advised against it, Bliss headed back into the fire, saying: "If I cannot save her, I will perish with her." The young couple did not survive.

Among Bliss' belongings were the lyrics to I Will Sing of My Redeemer."

It just struck me that those were the words he left behind.

I looked for the song on youtube.. the versions were kinda corny...

0 comments: