Thursday, March 1

Materialistic


As I was driving home from Alabama.. I stopped to get gas in Tennessee (about 96 miles South of Nashville). The clouds were dark, low and stormy... and the sky was an eerie shade of green. Of course the instant I stepped out to pump gas, the wind whipped into me and tornado sirens began to wail.

How ironic would that be? I'm heading home from a work project where we're rebuilding homes destroyed in tornadoes.. and I get carried off by a tornado??

I grabbed my camera to capture the storm... just in case a tornado hit and I could be famous for turning in photos to the nearest news station. Then, I ordered a 6 inch veggie at Subway as I continued to watch the storm roll menacingly over.

Oh my... there better not be a tornado... or hail. There better not be hail! It'll damage my car! And my macs in my car.. and my rebel.. and my lumix. Agh! My car better not get swept away!

Ridiculous. I mean, there was a positive. I wasn't worried about myself being destroyed. If I was swept away, it wouldn't matter what happened to my car or computer or cameras. But, I suddenly realized how attached I was to my earthly belongings.

Even though there are many reasons it made sense... I'm poor. I have things saved on my computer I wouldn't want to re-create. I have photos on camera cards that could be lost. There's Alabama dirt on the shoes in my car!

But still, 35 tornado reports Tues-Weds... and I know the destruction was devastating to some. But the material devastation should amount to little compared to the lives lost.. especially if the lives were unsaved.


2 comments:

Shana said...

Very scary looking sky! Sooo True girly. What a good reminder that we should be more focused on souls instead of ... stuff. :) Thanks for sharing!

Daveana said...

WOW! Thanks for sharing!